Sunday 19 April 2015

Copyright Notice


Copyright Notice: My Knitting and Crochet Patterns

A knitting pattern is essentially a set of instructions on how to make something - often a garment of clothing or a household item. Each pattern is a document – and may be made up of words, numbers, charts and photos - and is protected under UK copyright law.

Copyright gives the owner a number of exclusive rights, including the right to control how or whether a copyright work is copied – either the whole of the work, or a ‘substantial’ part of it.

Copying includes any reproduction, whether by hand, photocopying, scanning into a computer, etc.

As a general rule, anyone who wishes to publish (for example on the internet) or adapt a copyright work must first secure permission from the copyright owner.

My Knitting and Crochet Patterns are ALL copyright protected – you may not copy them without my permission.

Please respect this – and please also understand that this applies whether patterns are free or ‘paid for’

A little about me ~

I love to knit and crochet – and I donate most of what I make to charities in the UK and across the world.

I write patterns and share most of them freely. There are many charity knitters who do wonderful work and, like me, donate to those in more need than themselves. There is always a demand for new patterns and ideas. And I am happy to share.

From time to time I make a small charge for my patterns, and this enables me to continue………..                    have you any idea of how much time and effort goes into writing patterns?

If it was easy you would all be doing it!

I am happy for you to use my patterns for your own use or for charity donations.

In addition:  You can gift or sell any finished items you make from my patterns.

 

However, recently I have been saddened to find someone selling copies of my free patterns

on ebay.

I am so frustrated by this. It is illegal and morally wrong too.

So hurtful - and - if this continues I will have to make a charge for all of my designs.

 

Please do not abuse the copyright law – if you would like to know more, you might like to read the UK Government (Intellectual Property Office)  information about this ~ https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/399646/Copyright_Notice_4-2015.pdf

 

12 comments:

  1. It amazes me that people will steal patterns from someone. It also makes me very mad. It will continue though, because evidently a lot of crocheters and knitters think that it's ok. It's a shame. Sorry that this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is terrible. I hope you were able to contact the seller and have the adverts removed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry, Marianna! That is so upsetting, I have that happened to me too, and made me so sad. You are always so generous with your patterns, and it is disgusting that others are profiting from it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so disappointing all around:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear this, I am disgusted that some people are profiting off your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This person thinks its okay but if you were stealing from them they would come after you. You are generous to allow us to sell items made from these wonderful patterns. Obviously this person doesn't know how to knit or crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't believe people would do this. I love your patterns and I hope that this person / people stop abusing your generous nature to make a profit for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a shame! Please be encouraged that the majority of people who use and very much appreciate your hard work and generosity are also people who love to use their skills to give to others in need. Sadly there will always be the ones who take and continue to take, without a thought for anyone else. We love what you do and applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pattern so much. You are so generous. You give free pattern and we can sell item that we made from your pattern. so i don't understand why people still stealing from u

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to read that your copyright(s) are being infringed upon. Your patterns are beautiful & generously given to us & infringing on your copyright(s) is certainly not a nice way to thank you for your time & talent so freely given. I absolutely adore your patterns & use them mostly for new baby gifts or knit them as a 'requested as a gift' from a young mom. I have knit some for families who don't have the extra money to buy their child new sweaters, hats etc with each growth spurt. The items are loved by all I have presented them to. I also knit for charity & use your patterns. I want to especially thank you for allowing the sale of the items made from your patterns. My friend & I need to find a way to make some extra money for ourselves, as I am a widow on a fixed income & she is disabled on a fixed income & with the poor economy here in the states, I just know that your gorgeous patterns will help me out. I don't expect to become rich, just want to make enough to get me by each month. Allowing the finished product to be sold is a very generous thing to do on your part & I am very grateful. Would you like me to add a label to the item or make it known in some other way that I knit the items from your patterns? I will do so gladly. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would never enter my mind to take credit for designing someone's pattern as my own.

    SHAME ON THOSE THAT DO!

    Recently retired, I started knitting a few months ago and am loving it! Your patterns are easily understood and the finished items look adorable. Since I have no grandchildren, I was inspired by you to make your 'all in one tops' for charity. I am starting to get a little adventurous now with colors, types of wool and sizes. THANK YOU for sharing your patterns with us freely. The process that goes into creating a new pattern is complex, time consuming and YOUR creativity is amazing!

    If things progress to a point of you needing to charge for your patterns, it would be totally understandable. Hopefully, this dishonorable person has been stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to read about stolen patterns. It's a bad situation, and you're so generous in sharing your efforts... unbelieveble! Thanks for all you've done so far

    ReplyDelete